Published 2019-12-09T06:00:00 by Devin Jackson
HTML: Content & Layout
HTML is a language that determines how documents and web pages are displayed in a web browser, the language for the building blocks of any website.
CSS: Styling and “Look & Feel”
CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) is a popular style sheet language that determines how a document created in HTML is styled (colors, font styles, layout and responsive features).
These three programming languages are typically the foundation of any website, which is why it’s important that you’re aware of how these languages will affect your website and what they are typically used for.
What Can You Do With Each Programming Language?
- With HTML, you will be able to create the structure of your website.
- CSS gives you the ability to make the website look more visually appealing.
If you own a website but don’t know much about coding, knowing the difference between these three programming languages should help you better understand what goes into developing a website. If ever a problem occurs with a component of your site, having a clear idea of what these programming languages are may be enough to help you properly diagnose what is causing the problem and how to fix it.
Web Development & Coding Languages
Each of these web development languages has a different purpose. For instance, Ruby is a scalable and fast programming language that can help you build an extensive website or program in just a short period of time. When paired with the Ruby on Rails framework, this language gives developers practically everything they need to build a website. With a language like SQL, developers can maintain and optimize large databases in a much more streamlined manner.
Different types of projects incorporate different languages of code. Many professional web developers also have their own preferences that they will use even if other programming languages have proven to be more popular. Various platforms are built on different languages. For instance, WordPress is built mainly with powerful PHP code even though HTML and CSS are used as well.
The main language that you use all depends on your specific project and the business goals that you have. By identifying what these goals are, you should have a better idea of which languages are ideal when you are developing a website or application.
What is HTML?
What Can You Do With HTML?
The main reason why it’s important to know HTML is because it allows you as a website owner to create the basic structure of you website, from which you can use any other coding language to enhance the design.
- With a basic understanding of HTML, you can significantly increase the control and flexibility that you have with your website.
- You’ll be able to make your own changes by having knowledge of this code.
- Some platforms will automatically implement many of the more complex functions of a website design, which leaves you with the ability to tend to the minor changes that can be made with HTML.
What is CSS?
CSS is a style sheet language that’s focused almost entirely on improving the presentation of HTML elements. While CSS is a static programming language, it can be used to make your website appear visually pleasing and modern. If you want your website to have a sleek and stylish design, CSS is the programming language to use. With a basic understanding of CSS, you can make changes to the overall look and feel of your website, which is useful when you want to match the appearance of your website with the aesthetics of your brand.
What Can You Do With CSS?
Even though CSS is primarily used to create static visual effects, the latest versions of the programming language offer some functionality for the creation of very simple animations.
- If you want to change the color of some of the text on a web page, basic CSS would allow you to do so by adding “style” code to the HTML code that’s already found on your page.
- Along with the presentation of HTML, CSS can also be used to alter the layout and formatting of your website.
- Once you know the basics of CSS, you should be capable of improving the look of your website and all of the HTML that you have already added to the design.
- Create a calculator for your website
- Create various keyboard shortcuts that allow users to effortlessly navigate to other pages
- Play animations when users scroll down the page
Best Resources to Learn Web Development Languages
Learn for Free Online with Codecademy
While it’s possible to develop and maintain a website for your business without having any knowledge of coding via a strong content management system, having a basic knowledge of the more common programming languages will allow you to edit your current website or start building a new one without assistance. Overall, you have more control over how your website looks, feels, and performs when you have some knowledge of these programming languages.
Subscribe to our newsletter